Holy Hoopskirts Batman!
So…. I promised back in November (?) that I’d make an 1860’s ensemble for my friend. After consulting the inside of my eyelids on a daily basis for nearly six months and ignoring her texts/phone calls, I’ve finally caved. I made her hoopskirt. (In this project I’m very literally just following her directions/specifications/instructions without question since it’s her dress and not mine) Did I mention she wanted a big hoop? As in 150″ circumference? Yep that’s right.
So this weekend, I made it. Well mostly, it’s almost finished, but for lack of a better post and finals right around the corner, I decided I’d post it anyway.
I just used some leftover cotton for the skirt base and steel fish-tape (wire pull) for the boning. That part was fun, playing with a dremel tool to cut them to the right size. I still think it could be a little smaller, as this behemoth takes up the entire walkway from the downstairs living room to my bedroom, but again, not my skirt. As both of us are short, I think I’ll just hem up the rest under the last bone and leave it there. (On a side note, being short isn’t too bad, we could definitely pass as Hobbits in nearly any circumstance!)
Once finals are over, I’ll be posting more regularly and sewing a lot more as well.