The very old steampunk outfit.
So, long backstory here, way back in May, my friend and I decided it would be fun to make steampunk inspired outfits for Halloween. As my friend does not sew (although she does possess a very nice Bernina machine I am jealous of) I offered to design and sew them.
In order to make everything easier, we picked a general pattern to base ours on. We picked Simplicity pattern 2172
It’s not my favorite pattern in the world, it’s kind of plain, it has fitting issues, and honestly, it’s a costume. But it worked for what we were doing. I used a red striped silk taffeta and due to budgetary restraints, brown poly-shantung for mine, and simple blue, black and jester print for my friend. So now that I’ve bored you with the details, on to the pictures.
First the petticoat I wrote about earlier.
Next the skirt. As you can see I pulled up the front section to show the petticoat and shortened the skirt to mid-calf ( which by the way meant shortening the pattern by about a foot. Yes I’m that short.)
And the rest of the ensemble. I changed the sleeves and made the overall coat shorter as well.
Overall, it’s not my favorite best dress ever, but I think it works